What Is Keto Diet Exactly?
Keto diet is also known as the low carbohydrate diet. In this diet, the amount of carbohydrate intake is really low in the ketogenic diet. This ketogenic diet puts your body in a process called ketosis. Carbohydrates are present 5%, fats 70% and protein 25% present in this type of diet.
Ketosis: It is a metabolic state in which your body tissues increases the levels of ketone present in your body. In this process, your body starts to burn fats and convert them into energy instead of insulin.
When your body intakes only 5% of carbohydrates in the whole day it has been put in such situation where your body is forced to burn the fats which are stored to produce energy. When your body does not get enough amount of energy through burning carbohydrates they start burning fats to produce energy.
How Does Ketosis Works In Your Body:
The ketogenic diet is pretty hard and difficult to attain. Most of the people start this time and they also discontinue it very quickly. But ketogenic diet is considered one of most effective diet for losing weight and it also helps in curing type 2 diabetes.
This process immediately starts when your body lacks carbohydrates and it provides energy through the ketones in your body. During such times you body automatically increase the level of ketones present in your body. This usually happens during sleeping, fasting, etc. and your body converts the fats to produce efficient energy molecule which is ketones.
Sugar is considered to be the primary source of fuel to our body. There are also many other fuels like fatty acid and glycerol but they are converted very slowly thus your brain cells do not recognize them as the source of fuel. The secondary fuel is considered to be ketones.
Benefits Of Ketogenic Diet:
- The ketogenic diet has a pretty good number of benefits. Some of them are listed below:
- Low carbohydrates diet helps you to suppress your appetite. Hunger is the main cause why people leave this diet miserably.
- By continuing this diet in a proper manner your weight can be lost many pounds. Many studies have shown that people who eat fewer carbs and eat more protein and fats consume the fewer amount of calories.
- Helps in curing type 2 diabetes. As we know during the ketogenic diet the insulin rate of your body gets low and this will help in treating high sugar patients.
- It is effective against metabolic syndrome which is associated with risk of diabetes and heart condition.
- Helps in controlling cortisol hormone which is also known stress hormone. This will lead you to have a better focus and concentration and effective against depression, anxiety, etc.
Foods You Can Eat During ketogenic Diet:
Many people think that there are very few things you can eat during the keto diet. This article will clear that misconception and also will shock you by revealing what all you can eat during this diet:
Fats And Oils:
- Saturated fats like butter, ghee, cheese, lard can be consumed.
- Oils like coconut oil, olive oil, avocado oil, macadamia oil, MCT oil can be used in your diet.
- Polyunsaturated fats which are generated naturally in animal protein and fatty fish are really great for your health.
- Lard, egg yolk, cocoa butter, tallow, mayonnaise can also be consumed.
- Fishes like salmon, snapper, flounder, catfish, cod, halibut, mackerel, mahi-mahi, etc can be eaten without any fear.
- You can also have shellfishes like crab, oyster, lobster, squid, and scallops.
- Meats like beef, pork, chicken, duck, quail, goat, lamb are rich in protein.
Dairy Products, Vegetable, and Fruits:
- Vegetables: yellow onion, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, green beans, leafy vegetables, green bell pepper.
- Fruits: berries can be involved except strawberries. Avoid eating fruits it contains sugar.
- Dairy Products: any kind of cheese, greek yogurt, cream, mayonnaise, butter, ghee, brie, mascarpone.