Keto Diet is popularly known as a low carbohydrate or high-fat diet. It has gained a lot of popularity and has become well known in recent times. A keto diet is known for its weight loss effects. It has several positive effects on cancer, diabetes, epilepsy and Alzheimers disease.
The Ketogenic Diet consists of high fat, low carbohydrates and also a moderate amount of protein. Keto Diet is more similar to Atkins and a low carb diet. This type of diet will help your body kick start the process of ketosis in your body.
The process of ketosis usually occurs when you begin to starve or during fasting. The process in which your body starts burning fats instead of carbohydrates is called Ketosis. During this process, your body undergoes a very low carb diet and your body begins to burn fat instead of glucose.
Types Of Ketogenic Diet:
- Standard Ketogenic Diet (SKD):
This type of diet consists of 70% fats, 20% of protein and 5% carbohydrates.
- Cyclic Ketogenic Diet (CKD):
This diet contains 5 days of low carb or ketogenic diet and 2 days of high carbohydrate diet.
- Targeted Ketogenic Diet (TKD):
This type of diet includes carbohydrates during or around workouts.
- High Protein Ketogenic Diet:
This type of diet is more similar like SKD but the protein content is little high in these diets comparatively. It consists of 60% fats, 35% of protein and 5% carbs. The Ketogenic Diet is safe and does not have any kind of artificial methods to lose weight. It is considered one of the most effective ways to lose weight which is superior and recommended as well. This diet does not require calorie count, it just avoids carbs.
Other Health Benefits Of Keto Diet:
The Ketogenic Diet came into existence to actually cure the neurological disease such as epilepsy. Other than losing weight it has various other several health benefits:
- Heart Disease: The ketogenic diet can help eliminate various risk factors which can cause heart diseases such as body fat, bad cholesterol, blood pressure, and blood sugar.
- Cancer: The keto diet has helped treat various type of cancer diseases as well as slow tumors.
- Brain Injuries: Many studies have found that this type of diet can help reduce concussions and aid recovery after brain injury.
- Acne: This type of diet will help your body lower the levels of insulin and sugar in your body which will thus help cure the acne on your face.
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (POS): When you follow a ketogenic diet, then the insulin levels in your body reduces which in turn plays a key role in polycystic ovary syndrome.
Foods To Avoid During Ketogenic Diet:
Some of the foods listed below must be avoided during the Ketogenic Diet are as follows:
- Sugary foods such as soda, juice, chocolates, cake, ice cream etc.
- Grains and starches such as wheat-based products, rice, pasta etc.
- Fruits which contain sugar and try avoiding fruits except for a small portion of berries and strawberries.
- Low fat or diet products which are rich in carbohydrates.
- Avoid vegetable oils, mayonnaise or anything that contains unhealthy fats.
- One of the major things that one must avoid when following a Ketogenic Diet is Alcohol.
Is It Safe To Consume Alcohol During A Keto Diet:
Yes, one should avoid alcohol during a Keto Diet. But you can drink it in a very limited amount and very occasionally, this article will help you understand why it is okay to drink alcohol occasionally.
When alcohol enters your body, your body immediately recognizes it as a toxic and immediately starts breaking down. As soon as the alcohol enters your body it begins to metabolize it and breaks it down.
When you start drinking alcohol in an excess amount, your weight loss starts to slow down at a certain point and will stall completely.
Your body will burn fats during the process of alcohol and when you start drinking alcohol your body will prioritize the breakdown of alcohol.
You must be conscious while drinking with what you mix with your drink. It is advisable not to consume any type of alcohol when you are following a Keto Diet. It can start your cravings again for sugar and carbohydrates. So, in conclusion, it is recommended to avoid them.